No time for the salutations, this entry is going to be a quickie here so I’ve no time to waste.
This is a (what I would call a ‘do it now’) thing so it won’t be long.
Just yesterday every movie/ entertainment/ geek blog and site announced that Warner Brothers is actually going ahead and making Neil Gaiman’s ‘The Sandman’ into a theatrical film. Being the fan boy I squee’ed like the fan boy I am. I got all these links from friends knowing I’m a Sandman fan and they’ve been wondering what I think about it. Well the news I read said that Joseph Gordon Levitt will direct and star since he directed ‘Don Jon’ (Which I have not seen nor am I the one for Romantic Comedies) but he looks like he did an alright job. How will he do adapting a mythological entity of the endless from page to screen, I do not know but I’ll give the rookie a shot. Just like the news of Ben Affleck donning the Batman suit, I say we have to take a chance. Hopefully Joseph is in his million dollar condo (or whatever it is he lives in) reading all of the Sandman arcs from ‘Preludes and Nocturnes’ all the way to ‘The Wake’ and telling himself “I’m giving the fans what they desire, and it‘s not fan service.”
It is unsure who or what he’ll be playing as, but expect to see a lot of CGI (Which I’m not even surprised by) and a lot of weird shit (if it gets past the censors). I can see Joseph playing as ‘Desire’, the only endless character who has gender ambiguity (To those who don’t understand, it’s unsure whether he’s a girl or she’s a guy) and make the fan girls squee or he could play a human in ‘The Waking World’ who comes across the Endless. As any of you who could tell can see, I am very excited to see what transpires.
I’m unsure how the end product would be but I had my visions of how a Sandman based film would be and here are some of my ideas which I doubt Hollywood would consider because they are idiots.
1. A faithful adaptaion of one of the sandman arcs like ‘A Game of You’ or ‘Season of Mists’.
2. Make a whole different story featuring the endless, as well as human characters and connect it to the sandman mythos.
3. Hire different directors with their sets of actors and set design and show each of their incarnations of how they see each of ‘The Endless’ like in the comics. All Sandman comics aren’t drawn the same, each arc has a different artist behind it. Also as a lynchian fan boy, I would love to see how David Lynch sees Morpheus.
4. Do it the way it was (may be a rumor) originally meant to be, All puppetry (done in that ‘The Dark Crystal’ style) by ‘Jim Henson’ and directed by ‘Terry Gilliam’. Sadly Jim Henson is not with us, but that still doesn’t mean we can’t have puppets.
5. Make the whole thing animated (like those DC animated, straight to video productions) and hire a badass voice actor to play Morpheus: King of Dreams.
So that covers it, I’m not mad that they chose Joseph Gordon Levitt, but I pray that Hollywood does not mess this up. If this does not blow over and doesn’t end up in development hell, expect to see me opening night. If you guys have not read any of the sandman books and read through this entry thinking ‘What the hell is an endless?’ Pick up any of the trade paperbacks (Except volumes 9 and 10, those are for later.) and read them, they are something to behold.
So, this is my short ‘Blogababble’ entry, an emergency one that I had to write or else it would be ‘Lost in the Static’. Yeah, that’s a plug for a podcast I regularly listen to. Here’s the link for their podcast, enjoy that too.
Lost in the Static link: http://www.1201beyond.com/lost-in-the-static-archive/
PS: Josh is a handful, don’t let his opinions get to you. ;)